I apologize for having been absent for these past months. I've been working on new projects - writing new stories, doing research for some new songs. I've also been in the recording studio with maybe the most talented member of the Travelers. We're doing the recording for the London song, will have it up and available before too long. I wish that I could clone Scott! What a breadth of knowledge and talent. He is to music and sound engineering what Scotty on the Enterprise was to that ship's engines.
It's also really interesting to see how the technology works these days. It is possible to do things very frugally and quickly that would have cost a mint, and months, with a producer and engineer hovering over the 2" recording tape with razor blades. No longer.
Yet, what is also obvious is that, to do the music I want to do, a certain type of musicianship and knowledge has to be there. I love so many different styles of music and I've played a lot of it. I've been nuts about bluegrass, jazz, Macedonian bagpipes, Turkish music, and Motown. That's just me I guess. It's great though, because when I write a song about London, I don't just want the lyrics to talk about that great city, I want for the music to talk about it too. It's such a great puzzle! What makes a song sound like London? That will be different for me than for someone who has listened to different musicians from there at a different time. I hear the Beatles, Herman's Hermits and perhaps the English Beat. Some others would hear the Sex Pistols or Adam Ant. It's all relative. The question is, if I hear it that way, will others as well? It remains to be seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment